With the Xiaomi Mi Drone, the Chinese smartphone and smart gadget giant Xiaomi keeps doing what it does best: promising tech with high-end specs and performance at incredibly competitive prices. Xiaomi has a reputation for building new, high-end tech that you might expect to see from Samsung or Apple — or in this case, DJI — and pricing it aggressively to attract buyers that might not otherwise be interested. The new Mi Drone, which performs more like a DJI Phantom, has a starting price of just 2499 RMB — about $380 for the 1080P variant and the top-of-the-line 4K variant is just 2999 RMB — about $460. That’s literally one-quarter of the price of its main Chinese drone rival.
Launching the new Mi Drone Xiaomi wrote in their official blog that:
Today is the special day where we are going to conduct our new product launch event across several platforms online.. it’s one of the most anticipated product for tech geek: Mi Drone.
The 1080p camera features a 16-megapixel Sony sensor while the 4K version uses a 12-megapixel sensor to record at 3,840×2,160-pixel resolution and supports photo capture in raw format. Both are mounted on motorized three-axis gimbals for image stabilization. To make traveling easier, the cameras are removable and the landing gear folds up.
Watch the unboxing of the Xiaomi Mi Drone
- 4-propeller system with detachable shields
- 17.4V battery 5100mAh, 27 minutes non-stop flying
- 1080p or 4K UHD camera, with 104° wide-angle lens
- 4K camera at 3840 x 2160 pixels; supports recording of stills in RAW format
- 720p live video with low latency from up to 2km distance
- Camera attached to a 3-axis gimbal, stabilizes up to 2000 vibrations per second
- Unbelievably lightweight design
- GPS + GLONASS + vision-based positioning for max precision
- Autopilot options: automatic take-off + landing, waypoint flight path planning, tap to fly on map, circle an object on the ground
- Intelligently detects low battery and returns home automatically
- Real-time location tracking for easy retrieval even post crash
- Hovers automatically at the edge of no-fly zones
- Built-in PCB antenna array in remote control for maximum reach
- Modular design and foldable landing gear
- RMB 2499 for 1080p, RMB 2999 for 4K UHD version
Whats next for Xiaomi? Comment in the section below to tell us what are you expecting next from Xiaomi??